Penny and Moore
For decades the talent industry was relatively still with recruiters having full control of the hiring process. The steps were straight forward: identify a job vacancy, place a job advert, screen the applicants, conduct the interviews, and negotiate a suitable offer.
We saw the potential for change with the baptism of online job-boards in the mid 1990s, but recruitment systems and processes still idled along. In the background, headlines such as digitization and applicant tracking became commonplace, but they meant little to the average recruitment professional. Some of the early recruitment software packages and systems weren’t integrated and amounted to little more than a crude system of spreadsheets.
Hire not just to fill the position that you need today, but try to be proactive and hire the leader you need tomorrow.
• Future Proofing. Define the skills that you require for performing the necessary roles not only now, but in the future. Look for candidates who are flexible, i.e. capable of delivering what is required today, and who are also able to learn the skills that you need tomorrow.
• Assess candidates’ potential loyalty through their application, and determine their commitment to your organization during the recruitment process.
• Switch Up during the interviews. Switch up your interview technique to enable better assessment of candidates potential – adopt a fluid, conversational style interview. Question them on the challenges they might face, find out why they are motivated to join your organization, and develop questions that assess their soft skills such as creativity, innovative thinking, and problem-solving ability.
• Focus on retaining people in your organization, not just in their job. This starts at recruitment. Not only does this help their needs, but they get wider exposure to the whole company as well as acquire additional skills. Create a development plan for every job you hire for so that candidate will know their potential career path through your company might look like.
- Date: January 24, 2017
- Client: Penny and Moore
- Category: Recruitment Marketing
- Value: Retail